Dividend Investing, Investing In Dividends, Scottsdale Financial Planner
Experienced Dividend Investment Management: The IQ WEALTH BLACK DIAMOND DIVIDEND STRATEGY AND the IQ WEALTH BLUE DIAMOND INCOME + GROWTH PORTFOLIO.
Investing With Purpose: Professionally Managed Investments
Scottsdale Financial Planner Scottsdale Investment Manager Wealth Management In Scottsdale
Black Diamond Dividend Growth Stategy ¦ Blue Diamond Income + Growth Portfolio
THE IQ WEALTH BLACK DIAMOND DIVIDEND™ STRATEGY
Investing In Dividends and stocks that pay the best dividends can be a way to avoid the feeling that you are gambling in the market. With a properly implemented dividend reinvestment strategy, you are paid to own your stocks by America's profitable companies. Using Dividend Investing to grow retirement wealth is a proven approach to investing in stocks.
Our firm offers a disciplined, done-for-you approach to choosing only those stocks that increase their dividends, every year, consistently, without fail. If a stock in our portfolio does not increase its dividend in any year, it is sold. We use a systematic, math-based approach to investing for retirement. As a wealth manager in Scottsdale, we serve the entire valley. We help our clients gain confidence about their money, putting a complete plan together from a holistic point of view.
Every aspect of your financial plan must be considered before you put dollars to work in any investment. With a professionally managed dividend reinvestment portfolio working for you at all times, you may feel like you finally have a logical approach to your money. We offer professional oversight and supervision. Dividend investing can be an integral part of your plan for wealth management in retirement.
The IQ Wealth Black Diamond Dividend Strategy is an actively managed rules-based portfolio with a systematic approach to the selection of equities.
The portfolio includes a combination of individual stocks as well as carefully selected dividend paying ETFs. All stocks and ETFs in the portfolio are selected based on their documented track record of increasing their dividends every year without fail for a minimum of ten consecutive years. ETFs in the portfolio contain stocks which have increased their dividends a minimum of 25 years or longer.
The portfolio does not hold any bonds or bond mutual funds. Management tends to hold an allocation of cash, however, to act both as a buffer during volatile times, and to provide "dry powder" for purchasing stocks at better prices after market corrections.
1) Optimize the power of reinvested dividends from companies with a consistent and consecutive record of increasing dividends. While a "consistent" record of raising dividends each year is desirable, our approach is much more disciplined. We require a minimum of 10 CONSECUTIVE years of increasing dividends from each company in order to allow the stock into the portfolio. The portfolio is designed focus both on individual stocks as well as carefully selected dividend ETFs. For an ETF to be considered, management prefers 25 years of increasing dividends. These stocks are known as Dividend Champions and Dividend Aristocrats. Our objective is to own only those companies which INCREASED their dividends both in 2008 and 2009.
2) Focus on quality and value rather than technical timing. The portfolio is for the long term value investor who seeks to capitalize on compounding of steady dividends over the long run. New stock selections for the portfolio require a minimum of a 3% dividend yield to enter the portfolio. While not all stocks with a 3% dividend qualify for the portfolio, we utilize the 3% factor as one method of finding value (dividend yield is related to share price. A rising share price tends to lower the dividend yield. A falling share price tends to raise the dividend yield)
3) Focus both on "offense" and "defense" simultaneously. Our goal with the Black Diamond is not to “chase” the market. Each year, a different category of stocks rises to the top of the Dow and S&P. One year it is pure growth, the next it may be real estate, and the next it may be dividend payers. We want to stay on offense, but we believe that having a good defense is a winning philosophy (what goes up will one day go down.) By holding quality assets, it is our belief that overheated markets will find their way back to the positions we hold. Our goal is to remain consistent, and let the market find its way back to our area of focus: value, income (through dividends), and specifically--companies which consistently grow earnings and dividends. We believe that increasing the cash position during overheated markets is another example of playing both offense and defense. The objective with a strong cash position is to achieve a) a level of protection against sudden and severe market declines b) the ability to buy high quality stocks at lower prices during and after corrections.
The IQ Wealth Black Diamond Dividend portfolio is not a mutual fund. It is a professionally managed account consisting of dividend-paying stocks and ETFs, rebalanced quarterly. As a fiduciary, Wealth Management Firm, and Scottsdale Financial Planner, our firm accepts no commissions on the portfolio. The investor may hold the portfolio at Fidelity Institutional or TD Ameritrade. Our objective is to provide effective and to help your financial plan with low cost Investing In Dividends and using Dividend Investing to grow retirement wealth.
¹All information on this page is intended as educational and conceptual. Past performance of all assets, including stocks, bonds, real estate, and the economy, should never be relied upon to predict future results. This example is intended to illustrate how the reinvestment of dividends can accumulate more shares over time, and can potentially lead to increasing total returns through compounding.
The IQ Wealth BLACK DIAMOND Dividend™ Portfolio is suitable for those investors who:
- Require a systematic, rules-based approach to investing for long term growth and total return.
- Consider themselves conservative to moderate in their investment profile
- Prefer owning companies paying consistently growing dividends
- Place a value on companies which have delivered consistent dividends through both up and down economic cycles, with at least ten consecutive years of dividend increases, combined with consistent profitability and lower debt
- Prefer an approach focused on “wide moat” companies showing leadership in their industries
- Prefer owning companies with a strong investment grade credit rating (no "junk")
- Understand the long term compounding benefits of reinvesting dividends over time
- Are comfortable investing in a portfolio that consists of both individual stocks in the large and mid-cap categories, plus ETFs following similar guidelines.
Not just "Dividend Payers", Dividend GROWERS.
For reference, explore the information compiled by Ned Davis Research comparing Dividend Paying stocks, Dividend Growers, Non-Dividend paying stocks, and Dividend Cutters. A Dividend Grower is a stock with not only consistently growing dividends, but a record for CONSECUTIVE dividend growth, year after year.
In the period from January 31 1987 through January 31 2016:
- Dividend Growers averaged a return of 13.8%
- Dividend Non-Changers (no consecutive increase in dividends) averaged a 10.1% return
- Dividend Non-Payers averaged a 7.4% return
- Dividend Cutters averaged a 6.6% return
- S & P 500 Annualized (with no dividends) average: 7.072%
- S & P 500 Annualized (with dividends reinvested) average: 9.45%
Source: Ned Davis Research, Proshares
Past performance is no guarantee of future results. Invest wisely with a diversified approach.
THE IQ WEALTH BLUE DIAMOND INCOME + GROWTH™ PORTFOLIO
In addition to the Black Diamond Dividend Strategy, focused purely on consistent high-value dividend growers, IQ Wealth Management offers access to the Blue Diamond Income & Growth Portfolio--which combines a focus on dividends but with an equal focus on Growth-only stocks in key sectors that we believe will remain instrumental as the world's economies move into the future.
Once again, this is a portfolio that stays both on offense and defense simultaneously, yet is more offensively minded.
Objective, Philosophy, and Focus:
As a Wealth Management firm located in Scottsdale, Arizona, we built the Blue Diamond Income & Growth Portfolio to focus both on the obvious and non-obvious trends in the real economy. As with the Black Diamond portfolio, our goal is not to "buy stocks", but rather to buy companies. The Blue Diamond does not hold any individual stocks. All positions are ETFs or cash. Currently, we are 94% invested in ETFs with a 6% cash position to take advantage of major pull backs.
The Blue Diamond maintains a commitment to Dividend Growers at the base (25+ years of increasing dividends.) In addition to Dividend Growers, we have added a focus on specified Growth sectors. We believe there are a number of sectors which will lead not only the U.S., but the world's economy toward 2020, 2025, and beyond. While there may be ups and downs in markets from time to time, we believe investors will eventually find their way back to the following sectors after corrections. The portfolio is designed for entry at any time. The sectors we have selected are (with some of the companies in parentheses):
- U.S. Aerospace & Defense (Boeing, Northrup, Lockheed Martin, and more )
- U.S. Semi-Conductor, Micro Processor, and Chip Makers needed for Artificial Intelligence (Micron Technologies, Cree, Nvidia, ON, and more)
- Healthcare / Pharma / Biotech / Consumer Cyclical (Biogen, Amgen, Pfizer, Visa +)
- Internet Technology and Commerce (Amazon, Facebook, Netflix, Alphabet, twitter, & more--FANGS +)
- Medical Devices and Medical Technology (Medtronic, Abbott, Thermo Fisher Scientific +)
- North American Tech Software Companies (Oracle, Microsoft, Adobe, Activision Blizzard, +)
- Emerging Market Internet & E-commerce (Alibaba, Ten Cent, JD +)
- Cyber Security (firms engaged in the protection and prevention of ID theft and system hacks)
Why We Are Focused On These Sectors
Looking ahead to 2025, there will be many changes, with more of an emphasis on Artificial Intelligence. Highly credible "future thinkers" like Bill Gates and Gartner Company are predicting that 45% of all jobs currently being performed by humans will be done by machines (robots and computers) between 2025 and 2028. Some industries and companies may completely disappear. What companies and sectors are hard wired into the circuitry that will take us from where we are today and not only be surviving but potentially thriving in 2025 and beyond? This is the question we asked ourselves when conceiving and constructing the Blue Diamond.
The above sectors make up approximately 60% of the portfolio. The balance is invested in Dividend Aristocrat and Dividend Champion positions--ETFs holding stocks which have increased their dividends for 25 years or longer. Therefore the Blue Diamond is consistent with our philosophy of maintaining both "Offense" and "Defense" positions simultaneously with several methods of growing capital.
In a bull market, "everyone's a genius" ---A rising tide lifts all boats. But where are the markets going in the next three, five, and ten years?
You want to be successful in the future, not just today.
Because institutional investors and professional traders tend to stay ahead of the amateur investor (who may not have the time, talent, nor inclination to devote to analysis), it is important to identify where institutional buyers are looking. We believe the above sectors in combination with Dividend Growers gives our clients a balanced and strong way to take advantage of those trends.
While markets can become volatile, our goal with both the Black Diamond and Blue Diamond portfolios is not to chase the market, but rather entrench ourselves where we believe the market will be heading.
The IQ Wealth Blue Diamond Income and Growth portfolio is not a mutual fund. It is a managed portfolio account consisting of dividend-paying stocks and ETFs, rebalanced quarterly. As a fiduciary, our firm accepts no commissions on the portfolio. Management fee is a "wrap" arrangement: no additional trading costs are assessed. The investor may hold the portfolio at Fidelity or TD Ameritrade. We believe that using a simple wrap fee method, where you pay no extra costs, is a hallmark of a high ethics wealth management firm.
The IQ Wealth BLUE DIAMOND Income & Growth™ Portfolio is suitable for those investors who:
- Require a systematic, rules-based approach to investing for long term growth and total return.
- Consider themselves moderate to moderately aggressive in their investment profile
- Prefer owning companies paying consistently growing dividends along with pure growth companies
- Place a value on companies which have delivered consistent dividends through both up and down economic cycles, with at least ten consecutive years of increases, combined with consistent profitability and lower debt
- Place a value on holding companies in the "pathway to progress" in the future
- Require ownership of dividend stocks with a strong investment grade credit rating (no "junk")
- Understand the long term compounding benefits of reinvesting dividends over time
- Are comfortable investing in a portfolio that consists of carefully selected ETFs for diversification
Why We Place An Emphasis On Dividends In Both Portfolios
Getting paid to own your investments is always a good thing. In fact, dividends can be thought of as the key difference between a pure speculation and an investment. Investments in dividends offer a continuous return to the owner, with the potential for compounding through reinvestment. In our financial bucketing system for your retirement, we believe that dividend reinvestment over time can help you to grow your nest egg. There is a benefit to a dividend dreinvestment strategy, even during down markets. When markets decline, quality dividend stocks continue to pay you growing dividends. Those growing dividends, reinvested, are buying even more shares "at a discount." This is the secret to dividend investing. This is one of the many ways that our wealth management firm, a financial planner in Scottsdale, Arizona, can help you with investing In Dividends and using Dividend Investing to grow retirement wealth.
Investors today are faced with one of the more challenging investment environments in decades:
- Markets are overvalued by traditional measures, the current bull market is “long in the tooth” compared to other bulls, economies are quite uncertain, and interest rates are at historically low levels. The result is that the investor may have fewer clear options for growing and preserving their retirement capital.
- With this challenging set of realities, it’s not easy for investors to make their own quality financial decisions. Successful long-term investment planning has grown quite complex, specialized, and challenging--even more challenging for the do-it-yourselfer or day-trader.
- In comparing investment strategies of the past twenty to fifty years, research often leads an investor back to holding quality dividend stocks--and reinvesting those dividends for compounded growth over time. In our bucketing methodology for financial planning, we believe that dividends belong in bucket 3--the Growth Bucket. While a basket of quality dividend stocks won't beat the S & P every year, the background and statistics are compelling for dividend stocks.
Annual Investment Advisory Fees
Annual Management Fees:
$50,000 to $500,000 .95%
$500,001 to $999,999 .85%
Asset Custodian: Fidelity Institutional member Finra, SIPC
- Accounts are billed quarterly, in advance. (See Investment Advisory Agreement)
There is no separate Wealth Management fee. Many of our clients also choose annuities in a separate bucket. There are no separate fees for annuities or for completing a financial plan if we begin working together under a wealth management agreement. To re-emphasize, IQ Wealth Management is a fee-only investment manager and wealth manager. When clients acquire annuities through our firm, there are no adviser charges or fees. We will prepare a written income plan for all of our annuity and dividend investing clients at no charge.
Additional fees and/or expenses:
The Black and Blue Diamond portfolios are "wrap" accounts. This means that all trading and transaction costs are born by IQ Wealth Management (our wealth management firm in Scottsdale), not the investor. Our investment management firm accepts no commissions on any transactions. There are no set up fees for either account.
The Portfolio is designed as a total return portfolio with dividends reinvested.
However if income is desired, quarterly withdrawals may be arranged with a charge of $75 per disbursement to cover the costs of handling, filing, and accounting. For ongoing income withdrawals a minimum of $300,000 is required. (Occasional withdrawals have no special minimums)
Should you stay in cash, or remain partially invested in today's market?
Consider your choices:
- Door #1: Remain fully invested-- “full steam ahead regardless of market valuations”, with a hodge-podge of mixed strategies, hunches, internet tips, and guesswork.
- Door #2: Try to time the market—believing its possible to know “when to be in” and “when to be out” (even though the best investors in the world like Warren Buffett and Peter Lynch have proclaimed it impossible)
- Door #3: Pull out of the market completely until the next crash, keeping all money in cash or “under the mattress”
- Door #4: Buy and hold the indexes, making no withdrawals, going up and down with the markets, with no clear strategy for capitalizing on downturns, accepting diluted dividend yields, and simply waiting 10 to 20 years for the results. This is a strategy for the extremely patient and optimistic.
- Door # 5: Hire a money manager to try to do all of the above (in the name of diversification)
- Door # 6: Begin a dividend investing strategy that pays the investor to own shares of profitable companies with high traditional valuations, with lower debt ratios, and which are confirmed leaders in their industries. With this strategy you actively require that every company you own is profitable every year, and in fact is increasing its earnings. You require they share their profits by paying steady dividends at predictable intervals in increasing amounts. If not, you trim the company from the portfolio at each quarterly rebalancing. You select companies paying a dividend yield—in relation to their share price—of 3% or higher. However, you do not choose any shares based on dividend yield alone. You require that the companies in your portfolio are those that increase those dividends every year, and have a documentable track record of doing so, for ten years or longer.
If “Door number 6” appeals to you—we invite you to explore our professionally managed portfolios:
The IQ WEALTH BLACK DIAMOND DIVIDEND™ STRATEGY AND THE IQ WEALTH BLUE DIAMOND INCOME & GROWTH PORTFOLIO.
INVESTING WITH PURPOSE, AND A CLEAR STRATEGY
- Both the Black Diamond and Blue Diamond Dividend Portfolios are comprised predominantly of domestic large cap stocks, with some focus on larger mid cap stocks that exhibit the required dividend performance and history. Small cap stocks are not a part of either portfolio. The Black Diamond Dividend portfolio holds a combination of individual stocks and ETFs. The Blue Diamond holds no individual stocks. It consists purely of ETFs and a small cash position.
- Diversification is primarily derived from holding multiple stock selections at all times, increasing the cash position at certain times, and including the use of Exchange Traded Funds for a portion of the portfolio.
- The ETFs in the Black Diamond are predominantly Dividend "Aristocrats" comprised of stocks which have increased their dividends a minimum of 25 years or longer. ETFs typically may comprise 12% of the portfolio.
THESE PORTFOLIOS ARE NOT A MUTUAL FUND.
They are privately managed accounts for our clients. Each client’s portfolio is managed within a single separate account and not as part of a pooled fund. Each client has 24/7 access to reporting.
- Prior to selection, all investments are quality assessed and approved based on credit rating, balance sheet, volatility, dividend paying history, yield, and liquidity
- Minimum Investment is $100,000 (CAN BE A COMBINATION OF BLACK AND BLUE DIAMOND PORTFOLIO'S) and can be transferred as cash or ‘in-kind’ securities.
Methodology and Supervision
The IQ Wealth Black Diamond Dividend™ Strategy and the IQ Wealth Blue Diamond Income & Growth Portfolio were originated and designed by financial planner Steve Jurich, founder of IQ Wealth Management in Scottsdale, a registered investment advisor. It is the intellectual property of IQ Wealth Management. They are held at both Fidelity and TD Ameritrade. Trading support is handled by a dedicated team of securities professionals in partnership with IQ Wealth at AE Wealth Management.
The strategy seeks to base selections on a set of mathematical determinants that separate stocks by virtue of their ongoing profitability through both good and bad times, evidenced by the payment to the investor of steadily increasing dividends over time followed by steady reinvestment back into the Black Diamond selections. We believe this practice may result in the accumulation of more shares during market pullbacks and eventually more overall accumulation in the account through increased shares.
Through the use of independent sophisticated screening software, repeatable methodology, and quarterly rebalancing, the investor seeking a set of rules to invest by may find the Black Diamond Dividend portfolio a fit for a part of their overall investment mix.
PORTFOLIO CONSTRUCTION: Black Diamond
Under our current philosophy and rules, a fully invested portfolio generally will be allocated with 88% individual dividend-paying equities and 12% dividend exchange traded funds (ETFs).
As the PE ratio of the S & P rises above 20, management may choose to reduce the percentage committed to equities.
For example, with PE ratios on the S & P at the 25 level, the equity commitment may roll back to 85%, partitioning 15% to cash. Management believes this is a prudent step that may reduce volatility and keep "dry powder" available to accumulate more shares in the event of a pullback.
After a correction in the market, the objective of management is to remain fully invested.
BLACK DIAMOND EQUITY HOLDINGS
The portfolio will typically hold 10-20 individual equities, with a target of 18 holdings. There are two primary screens.
- A current dividend yield of 3% or greater.
- A dividend-paying history of 10 consecutive years or more, of stable or increasing dividends.
The preferred length of time for stable or increasing dividends is 25 years. Stocks with this characteristic are known as “Dividend Aristocrats.”
It is our objective that Dividend Aristocrats will comprise a minimum of 30% of the individual securities. Exceptions may be made but only in the instance that we deem it necessary to add more stock selections for diversification.
Securities that meet the initial two screening criteria are then evaluated on the following fundamental information:
- Normalized Price/Earnings: We look for companies with a current price below the valuation indicated by normalized earnings, as evaluated by the calibrated software system.
- Debt/Equity: A ratio of 50% or less is desired.
- Debt Coverage: A ratio of 3:1 or greater.
- Earnings Growth: 5-10%, at a minimum.
- Dividend Growth: 1% or greater (4% growth preferred)
- Payout Ratio: Less than 60%.
- Cash Flow Per Share: Greater than the industry average.
- Credit Rating: Investment grade of BBB+ or greater.
- Subjective Factors: Include industry and company outlook; competitive advantages; management quality.
EXCHANGE TRADED FUND (ETF) CORE PORTFOLIO
In addition to pure equity positions, the Black Diamond Dividend Portfolio™ includes a core portfolio of dividend paying ETFs. The underlying securities in these ETFs consist of companies that have raised their dividend for 10 years or more. The ETFs selected represent various asset classes to provide portfolio diversification. The ETFs include S&P 500, mid-cap, small-cap, and European Dividend Achievers. These ETFs are chosen for the purpose of broadening the diversification of the portfolio. They often may not meet the 3% dividend yield minimum which is a focus on individual equity selections.
While the Black Diamond Dividend Portfolio and its holdings are continuously monitored, rebalancing takes place on a quarterly basis. If an individual equity’s dividend yield has fallen below 3%, it is scrutinized to determine the cause of the decline. If the fall is due to a lowering of the dividend, it is removed from the portfolio. If the decline is due to an increase in price, the holding may remain in the portfolio for a maximum of two quarters. We would prefer to take profits when rising share value leads to a falling dividend yield.
Steve Jurich, CIS™, CAS®, FOUNDER,
IQ WEALTH MANAGEMENT
A REGISTERED INVESTMENT ADVISOR.
Steve is an experienced financial professional who conceived and helped design the IQ Wealth Black Diamond Dividend Portfolio.
Mr. Jurich has access to institutional tools at Fidelity Institutional, software technicians with more than three decades of screening stocks, as well as assistance from the team at Sterling Capital.
Founded in 1970, Sterling Capital is a group of 131 seasoned investment and client service professionals who manage $51 Billion (as of 12/31/2016). We are an independently operated subsidiary of BB&T Corporation—one of the largest and most respected financial services institutions in the country—offering us shared resources, financial stability and support.
The stock selection process revolves around time honored stock selection metrics that have been used for more than forty years by well known institutional managers.
A sophisticated software system, linked in real time to company share prices, dividend yields, market cap, PE ratios, earnings metrics, sector, price to cash flow, credit ratings, and dividend consistency, is programmed for each Black Diamond screen input, and is employed for quarterly rebalancing.
The objective is to rely upon the mathematical determinants provided by the performance of each qualified equity over the past quarter, while seeking to keep trading to a minimum.
The portfolio is not a mutual fund but rather a separately managed account focused on a systematic method of equity selection. The Team uses quarterly rebalancing to maintain portfolio standards. The goal is that no trades will be made between the quarters unless a company in the Portfolio announces an earnings or dividend decrease, or the Team deems an increase in the cash position is warranted due to extreme economic conditions. Consultation with an experienced, qualified financial adviser is recommended before investment. Different types of investments involve varying degrees of risk, and there can be no assurance that any specific investment strategy will be profitable. The use of IQWM offered investment models and strategies may be appropriate for certain investors as part of their overall investment strategy. An investment should be made only after a financial advisor has reviewed the prospective investor’s risk tolerance, time horizon, and investment objectives
A security’s indicated yield is the most recently announced dividend, annualized based on the security’s dividend frequency, then divided by the Security’s current market price. These distributions are not guaranteed and can fluctuate. A dividend yield is not an interest rate. It is a percent of the share price. The total annual return of the portfolio is a combination of annual distributions and price fluctuation which can be positive or negative.
There are no “loads”, front or back end, to the portfolio, and no 12B1 fees, due to the fact that the portfolio is not a mutual fund. The ETFS in the portfolio, which make up 12% or less—will have their own internal fees over which we have no control.Past performance of any security or index should never be relied upon to predict future results. Stock markets and individual stocks may be subject to large price fluctuations. Diversification cannot guarantee to protect an investor from these fluctuations. Although the portfolios seek low volatility and principal protection, asset allocation decisions may not achieve these goals in all cases. There is no guarantee a portfolio will meet a target return or investment objective. The investor is investing in the stated methodology, not past performance. Client has 24/7 access to view the selections in real time and may cease the portfolio if he or she so chooses.. If the client believes that any change to the portfolio falls outside the stated rules for selection, the account may be terminated, typically the next trading day, without a load or surrender charge. There may be a nominal fee of not more than $75 to close the account.. (Messages left on our answering system do not constitute an order to trade. Email or written instructions are required.)
Have a no-cost, no obligation conversation with an experienced adviser and fiduciary.
Steve accepts 4 to 8 new clients per month in order to serve each with optimal attention and personal service.
Free Retirement Readiness Review
Learn more about the IQ Wealth proven approach to practical planning. To arrange your free review, please contact Barb at (480)902-3333, or email: Barb@IQWealth.com
Get access to our helpful retirement kit, which includes three guides that address topics you should consider when planning your retirement.